• Explores every aspect of a woman’s vintage wardrobe in over 1,000 stand-out examples, from dresses and skirts to hats, shoes and bags, drawn from fashions from the 1920s to the 1980s.
• Not just another history of fashion, this is a survey of how fashion past continues to inspire fashion present – as seen on the street, on the catwalk, and on devotees such as Kate Moss and Sienna Miller.
• Designs by world-famous names feature alongside lesser-known brands beloved of collectors, such as Lilli Ann and Horrockses Fashions.
• Unique handmade pieces as well as icons of vintage fashion, from Marilyn Monroe’s bra to the Ossie Clark dress that famously features in David Hockney’s painting.
• Includes invaluable practical tips on how to build a collection, and how to date, clean and care for vintage clothing.
Nicky Albrechtsen is a costume designer and the proprietor of the vintage resource studio Vintage Labels, which sources inspirational clothing for fashion, textile and costume designers. She is the author of The Printed Square; Scarves(with Fola Solanke); and Fashion Spectacles, Spectacular Fashion (with Simon Murray), all published by Thames & Hudson.